Diovanni Carter held without bail for Jajuan Griffin murder

Diovanni Carter was ordered held without bail at his Jan. 2 arraignment for the June murder of Jajuan Griffin, according to court records.

Prosecutors believe Carter, 23, approached a group of men and brandished a handgun at about 9:45 p.m. on June 12 on Ames Street in the Franklin Field housing development in Dorchester.

The men ran in separate directions when they saw the gun, Conley’s office said.

Carter allegedly fired a single shot, which hit Griffin, and then fired four more shots at Griffin as he stood over him, the district attorney’s office said.

Griffin, 27, was taken to Boston Medical Center where he died, Conley’s office said.

Carter was in custody for a probation violation prior to his Dec. 18 indictment for Griffin’s murder, Conley’s office said.

Carter, whom prosecutors say made self-incriminating statements, pleaded innocent at his arraignment, records show.

He is scheduled to return to court Feb. 13 for a pretrial conference.

From the Suffolk County district attorney’s office, Jan. 2, 2014:

BOSTON, Jan. 2, 2014—A Dorchester man was ordered held without bail on charges he gunned down 27-year-old Jajuan Griffin, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

DIOVANNI CARTER (D.O.B. 10/25/89) was arraigned in Suffolk Superior Court on charges of first-degree murder and unlawful possession of a firearm. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Masai King, chief of the DA’s Major Felony Bureau, Clerk Magistrate Gary Wilson ordered Carter held without bail.

King told the court that shortly after 9:30 p.m. on June 12, Griffin and a group of men were socializing on Ames Street within the Franklin Field Housing Development when a small yellow vehicle drove past, followed by a dark colored SUV. The two vehicles passed by again a short time later.

Minutes after the cars drove past a second time, Carter emerged from a path leading from Stratton Street to Ames Street. He was armed with a handgun as he approached the group of men, prosecutors said.

Upon seeing the gun, the group scattered. Griffin, who was unarmed, fled alone in the opposite direction of Carter.

Carter fired a single shot that struck Griffin as he ran. As the victim lay on the ground, Carter stood over him and fired four more shots, prosecutors said.

Griffin was transported to Boston Medical Center with gunshot wounds to the legs and torso. He died of his injuries that evening.

After the fatal shooting, Carter allegedly made self-incriminating statements to several individuals, prosecutors said.

In addition to King, Assistant District Attorney Spencer Lord and Victim Witness Advocate Jennifer Sears are assigned to the case. Carter is represented by attorneys Anthony Ellison and James Dilday. He will return to court on Feb. 13.


From the Suffolk County district attorney’s office, Dec. 18, 2013:

BOSTON, Dec. 18, 2013—The Suffolk County Grand Jury has returned a first-degree murder indictment against the man accused of killing 27-year-old Jajuan Griffin in Dorchester this summer, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

DIOVANNI CARTER (D.O.B. 10/25/89) of Dorchester is currently held for violating the terms of his probation on a 2010 gun case for which he served three years behind bars. He will be arraigned on the murder charge in Suffolk Superior Court on Jan. 2.

“The holiday season can be emotionally wrenching for those living in the shadow of loss,” Conley said. “No court proceeding can bring a loved one back, but I hope Mr. Griffin’s family can at least take some small comfort in knowing that police and prosecutors have been working every day to reach this point.”

Griffin was shot in the area of 70 Ames St. in the Franklin Field housing development at about 9:45 p.m. on June 12. He was transported to Boston Medical Center, where he died of his injuries.

Based on evidence developed by Boston Police homicide detectives in the days and weeks that followed, Suffolk prosecutors approved a warrant for Carter’s arrest on Aug. 22. Carter was later taken into custody for violating the terms of his probation and has been incarcerated while prosecutors built the case behind the closed doors of the Suffolk County Grand Jury. The murder indictment was returned on Dec. 18.

Assistant District Attorney Masai King led the grand jury investigation that resulted in last week’s indictment. Jennifer Sears is the DA’s victim-witness advocate assigned to the case. Carter is represented by attorneys Anthony Ellison and James Dilday.

A copy of Carter’s indictment has been added below.

blog comments powered by Disqus