Police arrested a Mattapan man on Friday after a grand jury indicted him for the murder of a teenager in South Boston in 2013.
Members of the Boston Police Department’s fugitive unit, as well as homicide investigators, arrested 26-year-old Jonathan Matos. He is charged with murdering 18-year-old Jonathan Reyes.
On Jan. 7, 2013, just before 3 a.m., officers responded to 335 West 2nd St. where they found Reyes, who had been shot several times in the head and 11 times overall, investigators told the Boston Globe days after the crime. Reyes was taken to Tufts Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
“He was butchered,” a law enforcement official told the Globe at the time. Investigators told they Globe the murder may have been drug-related.
In addition indicting Matos for first-degree murder, a grand jury returned indictments charging Matos with two firearms-related charges.
According to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office, ”Matos was identified as the result of a methodological investigation that made use of numerous interviews, forensic analysis, information from the public, and other evidence.”
“There’s no substitute for police and prosecutors who work hand in hand to build the best case possible,” Suffolk District Attorney Dan Conley said in a statement. “Long after Mr. Reyes’ murder faded from the headlines, this team worked patiently and methodically to solve it.”
Boston Police Commissioner William Evans also released a statement about the arrest.
“I hope this arrest brings some level of comfort to the Reyes family. This should serve as a reminder that the Boston Police never stop investigating until justice is served. I want to acknowledge the great work of the homicide and fugitive units for their dogged determination and efforts in this case.”
Matos is set to be arraigned in Suffolk County Superior Court on Monday.