A jury cleared Peter Carvalho of murder in the 2014 shooting death of his one-time friend, Shannon Richardson Jr.
Richardson was shot around 1:25 p.m. on May 21, 2014, as he walked down Dudley Street in Dorchester. He died at Boston Medical Center.
Prosecutors argued that witnesses put Carvalho at the scene of the shooting:
A man was found dead inside a Roslindale apartment Monday morning, police announced. News reports say the unidentified father of three died of head trauma.
“It was inside the apartment,” Boston Police Commissioner William Evans told reporters at the scene. “Clearly this was a targeted assault.”
Yuzhen Lei, 72, died last week after being shoved to the ground and hitting her head. Her alleged attacker is in custody on assault charges.
Tajanetta Downing, 24, crossed paths with Lei around 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday, July 8.
A Fourth of July shooting left one man dead and another wounded in Roxbury, according to Boston police.
Police found the two men with gunshot wounds near 12 Holburn Street just before 11 p.m. One, who has yet to be identified, was pronounced dead at the scene.
BPD’s full press release is below:
Shots fired into a crowd in Roxbury Thursday night struck two people, injuring one and killing 22-year-old Raheem Ramirez, according to Boston police.
Officers responded to 21 Greenville Street at about 11 p.m. Thursday night and found Ramirez and a companion suffering from gunshot wounds. Both were taken to Boston Medical Center, where Ramirez died. The second man, a 24-year-old, will survive, according to police.
Keith Hobbs was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole on June 16 for gunning down Demetrius Blocker in what prosecutors described as a “likely case of mistake identity.”
Jurors deliberated for two days before convicting Hobbs, 29, of first degree murder in Blocker’s shooting on Dec. 16, 2010 in a Mission Hill parking lot.
Blocker, 21, was waiting for a relative when he was shot. He wasn’t affiliated with gangs or crime, according to prosecutors.Read more
Jahvon Goodwin, 23, was sentenced to life in prison after a jury convicted him of second-degree murder in the 2012 stabbing death of 24-year-old Rashad Lesley-Barnes.
Rashad Lesley-Barnes. (Handout photo from family)
“I’ll never get to see him be a father, because he never had children,” Pauline Barnes said of her son prior to Goodwin’s sentencing. “I’ll never get to have a mother-son dance at his wedding.”
As hundreds filed in for his wake two miles away, a sidewalk memorial for Jonathan “JoJo” Dos Santos in a residential area on Dorchester’s Washington Street marked the spot where two teens allegedly gunned down the 16-year-old while he was riding his bike one week earlier.
Stuffed animals, hand-written tributes, and a sea of candles surrounded a utility pole in the area prosecutors say 16-year-old Dushawn Taylor-Gennis and 14-year-old Raeshawn Moody ambushed and killed Dos Santos in broad daylight just hours after Dos Santos was honored for his academic achievements at McKinley Preparatory High School.
“It’s heartbreaking when you lose a child,” said Patricia Charles, 64, who stopped by the memorial. She said she didn’t know Dos Santos personally, but knew of his reputation as a good sports player, and pointed to his family’s house which is less than a block from where the high school freshman was killed.
A 16-year-old and 14-year-old were arraigned on murder charges June 15 after allegedly ambushing Dos Santos June 10 as he rode his bike in Dorchester. They were held without bail until their next hearing on July 15.
Two teenagers, 16-year-old Dushawn Taylor-Gannis and an unidentified 14-year-old, were arrested Saturday for the death of Jonathan Dos Santos, who was reportedly ambushed and shot to death while riding his bike on Fuller Street in Dorchester, Boston Police and the Suffolk Country District Attorney’s office announced.
According to a DA press release, Taylor-Gannis and the 14-year-old will be arraigned Monday in Dos Santos’ death for murder and unlawful firearm possession.
“In an abundance of caution given his age, authorities are withholding the 14-year-old juvenile’s name until a criminal complaint issues on Monday morning,” the DA’s office said in the release. “Under Massachusetts law, juveniles charged with murder are exposed to the same penalties as adults and their cases are open to the public.”Read more